Originally a part of the aircraft selection in LOMAC, the F-15C was ported over to DCS through the FC3 package. As such, while it is available as an individual purchase, there is no reason not to get the full package instead.
Just like the other FC3 planes, the F-15C is more designed to be controlled through a standardised set of keyboard shortcuts than through any kind of advanced set of peripherals, nor does it feature an interactive “clicky” cockpit.
Conceived as a response to the perceived threat of the MiG-25, and designed as an air-superiority focused complement to the multirole F-16, the F-15 is highly adapted to the task of patrolling the air and lobbing missiles at all kinds of aircraft. While it may change as more capabilities are added to the F/A-18C module, for the longest time, the F-15C was the only western aircraft that could stand up to the MiG-29 and Su-27/-33. It features:
- A highly competent radar with track-while-scan capability.
- The universally (by redfor) hated AMRAAM that can be pickled-off in droves against multiple TWS targets at once.
- A cute little RWR that does not help when the main opposition uses passive IR tracking.
- More thrust than is really reasonable.
Comes with the built-in campaign F-15C - Bear Trap.
Flying the F-15C
Getting into the air
The process of getting the F-15C into the air is the same as with all FC3 aircraft:
- Make sure you have loaded the correct weapons.
(This can only be done with the canopy open and engines off, press LAlt' to open the outfitting menu.)
- RShiftL to turn the power on.
- LCtrlC to open or close the canopy, as needed.
- RShiftHome to start both engine at the same time.
(RShiftEnd stops both engines; RAlt/RCtrl + Home/End starts and stops the left and right engines individually.)
- Wait for the engines to spool up and stabilise.
- Num+/Num- controls the throttle; increase it carefully to get going and do not go too fast.
(W controls wheel brakes; be particularly careful when turning since doing it at high speed will make you tip over, scrape your wings, catch fire, explode and — worst of all — become the subject of innumerable screen shots.)
- Use Z and X to control nosewheel steering (and also rudder) to make your way to the runway and line up.
- LShiftF lowers the flaps — they should be in the middle position for takeoff.
- Throttle up to max and try to stay in a straight line as you barrel down the runway.
- Pull back gently to take off.
- Raise landing gears with LCtrlG; raise flaps with LCtrlF.
- Turn on radar (I key).
(RAltI and RShiftI can be used to change the tracking mode and frequency.)
- Press 2 to enter BFR master mode.
- Press D to select a missile type.
- Use the ;, ,, . and / keys to move the TDC around — the radar scan zone will follow.
(Moving the TDC off the radar screen at the top will increase range; at the bottom will decrease it; RShift; and RShift. to angle the search zone up and down.)
- Once a target has been detected, move the TDC over it and press Enter to lock it up.
(In TWS, this designates a target and allows AMRAAM shots. To enter the STT mode needed for other weapons, lock up the same target a second time, or use a different radar mode.)
- On the left side of the HUD, bars will indicate the range and launch zone of the selected weapon, and the radar and HUD will show a growing steering circle (ASE) as launch conditions improve.
- Manoeuvre to keep the steering cue within the ASE and to get the range cue inside acceptable parameters.
- Once in range, the canopy arch lights will light up — press RAltSpace to fire.
(If using the semi-active AIM-7, you must maintain STT lock-on until the target is hit.)
Once in the merge, you will probably want to switch to one of the close-range master modes, like VS mode (press 3), BORE mode (4) or VISUAL/FLOOD mode (6).
Links and files
- F-15C for DCS World in the DCS shop.
Related DCS modules
- F-15C Aggressors BFM campaign.
- F‑15C 16‑2 Red Flag campaign.
- F-15C The Georgian War campaign.
|FC3 modules (simplified sim)||A‑10A Warthog · F‑15C Eagle · MiG‑29A “Fulcrum A” and S “Fulcrum C” · Su‑25 “Frogfoot” · Su‑25T “Frogfoot” · Su‑27 “Flanker B” / Shenyang J‑11 “Flanker B+” · Su‑33 “Flanker D”|